Sunday, June 5, 2011

#GBE2 Lost & Found: Outcasts Welcome

Lost & Found is the story of my life. Acceptance. Happiness, self esteem, custody, streams of income. Being loved. Feeling depressed. My voice. joy. Friends. Lovers. All Lost & Found or Found & Lost. Nothing is permanent except change.




The false belief that “it”, whatever it is, is never coming back, is a trick we play on ourselves. It’s “lost” to us. But miscellaneous emotions and people “magically” reappear in our lives when we least expect it. Thanks to facebook, this happens a lot.




The young kimi was very lost; in my youth i was a hot mess. I didn’t and still don’t have a clue where I’m going, but I’m no longer lost. Tolkien & me, we know things. “all who wander are not lost”. Found isn’t the right word for me either, sounds too religulous. Found is a penny from heaven. Found is a shiny old friend.




Remember the island of misfit toys? on Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer? That really struck me. Those poor toys, just because they were a little flawed, would never be loved by a child. That was so sad. I could relate a lot to how they felt, but they at least had eachother. That emotion of outcast, exclusion, rejection... stuck with me.



The Outsiders was another example that rang my bell. Those kids had my heart. Always had a soft spot for the wrong side of the tracks boys.



Back to Lost & Found. Misfit Toys. Forgotten items. These appear, what was once in our life, a ring, car keys, a husband, they reappear as if by magic. Like a moon appearing from behind a cloud. It’s back. Surprising you but not really because, hey it was yours to begin with, at least you’d spend time together to get to “claim” it or them as yours at the Lost & Found. I was a child lost at the Fair and my mexican grandma came & got me at the "Lost & Found". Or a cousin. I can't remember. I do know my white grandma & grandpa married each other twice.



I like to think they’ve just returned from a long journey where perhaps they weren’t lost, but were learning how life sucks without the other in it. So they come back. The sock, the keys, the old friend or crush. & You become their Found. They come home.

enjoy these facebook reuinion moments:





















30 comments:

  1. I think that growing up I would have fitted in well on the Island Of Misfit Toys as well. Nicely written.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love it...I had just posted a poem that so fits with this title and on my wall your post was underneath....I'd wanted to take part in GBE but life has been quite demanding....this week i jumped in, you inspired me at just the right moment xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww sweetie you were never a misfit just misunderstood was all, has been such a pleasure to watch you get to the point where you understand that. Great write Kim :) love ya ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. o eye LOVE THIS..can't wait for OUR FOUND!! hehe
    R E U N I O N yup ;p LOVE that found! MUAH!! (hubby uploaded cowboy logan on his ebay site)

    ReplyDelete
  5. ahhh misfit toys....my permanent addy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was an awesome write. I think I was there, on the island of misfits for awhile...some great peeps there and toys too. Cheers, Jenn
    http://www.wine-n-chat.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. "I like to think they’ve just returned from a long journey where perhaps they weren’t lost, but were learning how life sucks without the other in it. So they come back. The sock, the keys, the old friend or crush. & You become their Found. They come home."

    Really, really nice, Kimi!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm nearly 60 years old and I still haven't found myself. I think part of me is on the east cost, part of me is on the west coast, and most of me still sits in the midwest.

    My latest GBE 2 post: http://helpforsingleparents.blogspot.com/2011/06/lost-and-found-teachers-who-kill-their.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great as always Kimi, I think all writers seem to be misfits in one way or another.
    Pam
    A Pirate Looks Past Sixty

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha nice photos!

    www.kateescapenj.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post!! So true about the lost items and people that miraculously appear out of the clear blue sky!! Awesome!

    Kathy
    http://www.thetruckerswife.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cute post. Love the Island of Lost Toys and Lost Boys (Peter Pan anyone?).

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post! I totally belong with the misfits too. :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Interesting reflection. I remember reading "The Outsiders" when I was about 12-13 or so and it made such an impact on my life I reread it with my children 30 plus years later.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post and a real interesting perspective on Lost & Found

    ReplyDelete
  16. Kim, I love your blog! I love the line, "lost and found, found and lost." They both apply. That's how life is...like the moon suddenly appearing from behind a cloud. Beautiful write.

    I too, felt for the toys at the island of misfits. All they had was each other. How happy I was when Santa came and put them in his sack! What joy!

    ReplyDelete