Monday, May 30, 2011

Success: Welcome to Fantasy Island GBE2






"There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way". ~Christopher Morley

Ha ha on this subject his week of “success” i despise that word really do. Thanks to my childhood i’ve been reverse brainwashed to fear and push away traditional success. Success scares me










Thanks to watching my child hood idols die one by one I took it to mean don’t reach too high, don’t ring the bell with a message so timely, they will take you out.






















There was also a fantasy element around “success” that permeated the media during my childhood













(have you been on a cruise yet? me neither!)












It was supposed to be unattainable. We are not going to inherit oil wells or be adopted by a rich single white man. No! lol Well, no wonder I had the idea that “success” was for texas millionaires and such, not little old people from Gilroy.

I saw my family like this:



And we were so obsessed with success, my dad even bought us a Cement Pond. For a Mexican, this was big-time. he'd married a white woman, owned a 7-11 & had a built-in pool. He was the epitime of success. He owned a porche, sent his kids to private school.



But we still fell to divorce, and our family was a statistic. He never recovered financially or emotionally, from losing all his "success".

So for me, I retrained myself to take the little winnings, the small moments and make them my success. For me, success is living with integrity. Being Real. Having a cup of good coffee. Having good communication with my son. Treating others how I want to be treated. Sleeping in. To my son it's landing a kick flip or pulling off a rail slide in a contest.












I was 27 when Nelson Mandela took office. That was inspirational. How he turned that whole political prisonor thing to world leader. Can we say success?







I was 32 when Dano Plato died, and just last year Gary Colman died. That reminds me that to achieve Hollywood fame and millions, is not success. They didn’t achieve happiness or peace.











To me, today’s culture of “success” is still not really for me.



I would rather stay with my peeps then climb the ladder of success. I will only take it if i don't have to conform. I prefer the D List to the A List. Underachiever as it sounds







I still have goals and I will achieve them. But meanwhile...

Success can be turning on the radio at the BEGINNING of my favorite song.
Success can be fitting into my jeans again.
Success can be making it through another month of bills.
Success can be contributing a blog to the GBE2 and tweeting everyone else’s blog.

"Water is fluid, soft, and yielding. But water will wear away rock, which is rigid and cannot yield. As a rule, whatever is fluid, soft, and yielding will overcome whatever is rigid and hard. This is another paradox: what is soft is strong." Lao Tzu







patience, persistance, self mastery, & nonconformity; that's success to me.

LOVE.







Kimi~ aka fresh coffee lover.




23 comments:

  1. I especially love success being when you turn the radio on in time to hear all of your favourite song. A lovely post with which I could very much identify :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your dad sounded pretty successful. This is a good blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this!

    Success comes in all kinds of ways! I agree with Diana that your dad was successful because life is about exploring, experimenting and changing!

    You brought back many of my own childhood memories and I've had the same feelings that you've described about those who reached fame--it's not what it appears to be!

    Great blog!

    (I deleted the above comment because of a typo...lol!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true - money and fame certainly do not equate to success. Hollywood suicides tell us that all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can identify to a lot of this as well. You, my friend, have a new follower :)

    Alison

    http://web.mac.com/alisonwise/iWeb/Ad%20Meliora%20Vertamur/Home/Home.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a great blog. Success is what you found it to be...what you define it as..and you know what, the small moments count as success just as much as anything else!!

    I enjoyed reading this!! Cheers, Jenn.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you covered just about all of it..... Crap, now what the h*ll am I going to say????

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are such a kind and brilliant woman, do you know that? ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed the photos in this blog as much as I enjoyed the blog itself. I also enjoyed your "little" successes.

    ~Theresa Wiza~
    writingcreatively.org

    ReplyDelete
  10. The "Golden Rule" and enjoying yourself is as much success as any of us can wish for. I am very happy for you my "successful" friend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh what a creative and fun post! And a good cup of coffee is a great measure of success. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh this was such a great creative post!! I loved everything about it including the pictures of things that were very much a part of my growing up too. I love that surviving the day is successful. Well done!!

    Kathy
    http://www.thetruckerswife.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved The Beverley Hillbillies, one of my favorite shows growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE THIS!! the flow...you PERFECT coffee bean you!! : ) yup the perfect brew

    ReplyDelete
  15. I loved the pictorial post and your take on success. Have another coffee on me (can't drink coffee unfortunately).
    Pam
    A Pirate Looks Past Sixty

    ReplyDelete
  16. This was an excellent post! A lot of famous people really are miserable too. Thanks for your thoughts.

    Joyce
    http://joycelansky.blogspot.com/2011/05/acrostic-success_31.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the Lao Tzu quote. Agree totally: success is living with integrity. This is a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't think that you have lowered your standards for success, but rather choose to find it in every day things, may be small, but still important. Simply not the "world's" view, but I think much more healthy. Great job! I really liked this, and no I haven't been on that cruise yet.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love Boat! LOL! Gary Coleman was a wife beater--I guess he was overcompensating. ;-)

    If you feel good about stuff, it's good. I agree with that totally.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi...Your post really got me thinking man..... an intelligent piece ,I must say. Get more information about Fresh Coffee

    ReplyDelete
  21. I discovered a lot of interesting stuff in your blog particularly it’s discussion. From the tons of remarks on your articles, I suppose I am not the only one having all of the enjoyment here ! keep up the good work. Bridal saree

    ReplyDelete