Thursday, April 15, 2010

Be a Rebel. The Breakfast Club Blog

This movie had a major impact on me.

Photobucket

I was a child of the 70s and 80s and rebellion was my thang. This movie was a pretty accurate portrayal of teenagers in my opinion. Kids back then distrusted & disliked each other based on stereotypes. I myself was a "valley" at a coastal school, so yeah.

These teens got trapped in detention together, got high together, and bonded. For a day, at least.

Photobucket

They quickly united against the common enemy, authority figure Vernon.

This guy was a douche:

Richard Vernon: Don't mess with the bull, young man. You'll get the horns.

Photobucket

soon they are all rebels.

Photobucket

I had to discuss the small group as a open system for my Group Communications class, with a specific, if fictional, example.

I chose the Breakfast Club.

The input variables the group members brought included John's marijuana and Brian's intellect. Claire's make-up skills, and Allison's crazy.

Photobucket

Allison Reynolds: I stole your wallet.

Their communication (mostly through the magic of getting stoned) and common goals of completing the essay and foiling Vernon united them.

Imperfect world Pictures, Images and Photos

Their output variables included their personal growth of seeing beyond stereotypes, the budding relationship between Allison and Andrew and the kiss between Claire and John.

Photobucket

Vernon: What if your home... what if your family... what if your *dope* was on fire?

Bender: Impossible, sir. It's in Johnson's underwear. (and it really was!)


breakfast club Pictures, Images and Photos

That level of trust was built in a few hours.

Photobucket

bravo.

2 comments:

  1. I love The Breakfast Club. It defines my high school experience in so many ways. Even as an adult, the message is a good one. It wouldn't hurt conservatives and liberals, for example, to kick back and chill, spend a little time together, let go of their starkly defined differences, travel outside of their cliques, and maybe learn a little something in the process. The guy on the other side of the political aisle might just end up being a friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. exactly. mix it up a bit! hi Kate! i didn't see this comment until recently, you're my first!!!

    ReplyDelete